The National Minimum Wage Act 1998 created a minimum wage across the UK.
The hourly rate that is paid depends on the age of the employee and if they are an apprentice.
The current rates are (April 2019):
- National Living Wage (25 years old and over) - £8.21 per hour
- £7.70 per hour - 21-24 yrs old
- £6.15 per hour 18 - 20 yrs old
- £4.35 per hour - 16-17 yrs old
- £3.90 for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over who are in the first year of apprenticeship.
The rates will change every April. For more information on the National Minimum Wage visit HMRC.