Grievances are concerns, problems or complaints that employees raise with their employers. The LRA Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures sets out the steps that should be followed by the employee and the employer. these are as follows:
- the employee should raise the grievance informally in the first instance. If the matter is not resolved then
- the employee should raise the matter formally by letting the employer know the nature of the grievance.
- The employer should hold a meeting with the employee to discuss the grievance
- the employer should decide on any appropriate action
- the employee should be offered the right of appeal.
Industrial Tribunals may adjust any award of compensation by up or down by 50% for failure by either party to follow the relevant steps set out in the Code.
LRA Code of Practice – Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures
Information note No. 1 - Employee grievances
Self help guide - Preparing a grievance procedure