This briefing is intended to give general advice and guidance about the main legal considerations which may arise when employers or employees wish to make changes to the contract of employment. It focuses on:
- Establishing a contract.
- Employment status.
- Contract terms.
- Variation by an employer.
- Variation by an employee.
At the end of this briefing, participants will:
- Be able to explain the main contract terms such as implied terms; express terms; statutory terms; custom and practice and incorporated terms.
- Be able to describe the requirement that the employer issues an employee with a Written Statement of Main Terms and Conditions of Employment.
- Be able to specify the options facing an employee where a contract is varied without their agreement.
- Have an understanding of the employee’s right to request a contract variation, ie flexible working and the employer’s business reasons to deny such a request.