Potential Problems at Christmas Time
As Christmas is fast approaching, by thinking about potential problems now, employers can make it a happy Christmas for everyone and minimise the risk of complaints or industrial tribunal claims.
The Labour Relations Agency (LRA) helpline receives enquiries every Christmas from businesses with questions and problems. To help you prepare and avoid potential issues we have compiled some frequently asked questions which the helpline receives each Christmas season.
The questions cover a range of issues, including:
• managing holiday bookings at Christmas
• choice of party venues and entertainment for the Christmas party
• inappropriate staff behaviour • harassment, bullying and discrimination
• staff health and safety on and off work premises
• best practice with office decorations
• dealing with post-party absences and disciplinary issues
• photographs posted on social networking sites of the Christmas party