Conciliation Explained

If someone has lodged a claim to the tribunal about their employment rights a copy is sent to the Labour Relations Agency.

We have a legal duty to offer Conciliation in most cases when someone has a complaint about their employment rights even if no claim has been made to the Tribunal service.

A Conciliation Officer will contact the parties or their representatives as quickly as possible and their role is to help find a solution that both sides find acceptable instead of going to a tribunal hearing. They don’t impose solutions, but will try to help you settle your differences on your own terms.

This booklet explains how we can help.

Further information and help

If you require further information or help with this publication please contact us.

Telephone Enquiry Point

The Agency’s Enquiry Point is available to employers, employees, trade unions and others. Enquiry Point advisors provide information and advice on a wide range of employment matters. The Enquiry Point is also an important contact point for identifying circumstances, or clients, who would benefit from being referred to other Agency services.

The Enquiry Point provides clear, confidential, independent and impartial advice to assist the caller in resolving issues in the workplace.

While the advisors cannot provide a legal opinion they can help callers gain a better understanding of their rights and responsibilities as well as identifying possible options to help resolve their issues.

03300 555 300
Monday - Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
Copyright ©2017 Labour Relations Agency. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Website by Elm House Creative.