Working Time Regulations
The Working Time regulations provide rights to:
- a limit of an average 48 hours a week on the hours a worker can be required to work, though individuals may choose to work longer
- 5.6 weeks' paid leave a year
- 11 consecutive hours' rest in any 24-hour period (exceptions)
- an in-work rest break if the working day is longer than six hours;
- one day off each week (exceptions)
- a limit on the normal working hours of night workers to an average eight hours in any 24-hour period, and an entitlement for night workers to receive regular health assessments.
The Regulations apply to all workers, including the majority of agency workers and freelancers. There are additional rules for young workers.