Industrial Actionhttps://www.lra.org.uk/a-to-z/s/secondary-industrial-action

Industrial Action is a concerted stoppage of work, or action short of strike that is taken by employees in contemplation or furtherance of a Trade Dispute.  Official Industrial Action is action which is called by someone who is authorised to do so by the Trade Union’s Rule Book.  Unofficial Industrial Action is action which is called by someone who is not authorised to do so and is viewed as unlawful.  In order to preserve immunity from legal action by an employer a Trade Union must take steps to repudiate unofficial industrial action.  Lawful industrial action is action which has been carried out in response to a ballot for Industrial Action.  

DfE Code of Practice - Industrial Action Ballots and notice to Employers  

Employers -

Industrial disputes

Inform and consult your employees

Trade Unions

Employees -

Industrial Action

Industrial Action and the Law and the right to Prevent Disruption

See Repudiation of Industrial Action and Secondary Industrial Action  

Telephone Enquiry Point

The Agency’s Enquiry Point is available to employers, employees, trade unions and others. Enquiry Point advisors provide information and advice on a wide range of employment matters. The Enquiry Point is also an important contact point for identifying circumstances, or clients, who would benefit from being referred to other Agency services.

The Enquiry Point provides clear, confidential, independent and impartial advice to assist the caller in resolving issues in the workplace.

While the advisors cannot provide a legal opinion they can help callers gain a better understanding of their rights and responsibilities as well as identifying possible options to help resolve their issues.

028 9032 1442

Monday - Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm

Contact Us

Please note that we cannot deal with employment-related enquiries by e-mail. To receive information or advice about an employment-related issue, please telephone our Helpline on Belfast 90 321442 where an officer will speak with you directly about your query. Please note that the Agency can arrange the services of an interpreter if required.

If you have an employment relations issue in Great Britain please contact the ACAS Helpline on 0300 123 1100 .

For all non-employment related queries or questions please fill in the box below.